Saturday, March 7, 2009

Don't Walk Away From Free Money from the IRS

The earned income credit (EIC) is a great feature in U.S. tax law that allows low and moderate income working taxpayers a chance to get some money back in these tough times. Contrary to what many believe, you do NOT have to have children in your household to qualify for this. You do, however, have to possess a valid Social Security number and have income earned from a job or self-employment. To find out if you qualify, check the IRS web page for more information.

Not only can you get money from the IRS, you can get free help filling out your taxes. In the Toledo area, call 211 and ask for the schedule of VITA volunteers--their times and locations--and set up an appointment to get your taxes done by people who can help you qualify. Also, if you live in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Mississippi, Kansas, or Florida, check out the Benefit Bank. Put in your address, click in the box marked "taxes," and you will get a list of nearby places that offer tax assistance.

No comments: