Thursday, June 11, 2009

Marjorie Asturias, I Love You!

Picking through Google while looking for more free money nonsense, I found instead this testimony from Texas freelance writer Marjorie Asturias. Apparently, she does different assignments, including grants research and writing, and was asked to research some grant possibilities for a young businessman. She had the integrity to tell him upfront that his chances were slim, but he was hopeful, so she went ahead. The results were pretty much what you think. Nada cash.

I have met so many library patrons who did not hook up with people of integrity, and who got ripped off in three or four figures. These are often terribly poor people who borrowed whatever they could from their families, and handed it over to people who found nothing for them. Sometimes, the scammers had the nerve to then ask for over $1000 to WRITE the proposals to "prospects" which I could tell in an instant would not give them grant money, because they did not qualify for the programs. From what I can tell, MSNBC, a few other media outlets, and local small business centers seem to have taken the lead in telling people about these scams. Thanks for kicking in your voice, Ms. Asturias.

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

Awww, thanks so much! Always happy to help. I still occasionally get emails from folks who want to land a grant for their small business or farm, but when I write back to them trying to gently let them know that their chances are slim-to-none, I never hear from them again. I suspect they think I don't know what I'm talking about and will go on to the next proposal writer on their list. Sigh.

Thanks so much for the link! Have a great summer!

Cheers,
Marjorie