Friday, October 14, 2011

So How Can Re-Entry People Help Ex-Offenders?

A lot of hits on this blog are for the posts dealing with ex offenders--is there really a big Social Security check waiting for them? (That would be a no.)  And where do I get help?  The truth is, most of the help you get will not be in the form of a grant, but a hookup from local groups to services available to you.

So what does that look like?  Last Wednesday, I met a couple people from the Northwest Ohio Re-Entry Coalition.  They were from the Triage Services, meaning that they worked to get day-to-day necessities for the ex-offenders who were in need, as well as services that would help in the long run.  "Immediate services" that they help getting birth certificates or state ID cards, food and clothing bank connections, transportation, and college applications.  In the longer run, they can help get the ball rolling for food stamps, housing, education, medical care, and job readiness.  If you are an ex-offender in Lucas County, Ohio, contact them at 419-242-9955, extension 141, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. till 4:30 p.m., or email them at

They can also help in the area of child support services, acting as intermediaries in getting back licenses and contacting authorities so that you can get out of child support hot water, when possible.  For help with your child support problems, call case manager Lanaya McDonald at 419 213 3026 (email or Nichole Roberts, at 419 213 3472.

If you are an ex offender from another part of the state, see this map to find the regional coalition that might be able to help you.  Remember that each local coalition is different, and may provide different levels of services.  If you are from outside Ohio, try to find your local group that helps ex offenders.

No comments: