Monday, July 22, 2013

Unemployment Compensation for Veterans

As a general rule, you can't get unemployment compensation if you have had a voluntary separation from your employer.  But there's an exception for military personnel.  Even if you have a voluntary separation from the military, you may be eligible for unemployment comp from the state in which you reside under certain circumstances.

For one, you have to have been received an honorable discharge, and had served at least 90 days.  You can receive benefits if you left before the end of you hitch if there were certain circumstances that required a discharge, like medical need or pregnancy or hardship.  And, of course, you have to meet the other requirements for unemployment compensation in that state, such as being fully or partially unemployed, looking and being available for work, and checking in periodically.  You apply at your state's employment office.  For more information, see this entry from stateside legal.

No comments: