Thursday, April 28, 2011

Disaster Money, and How to Find It

The terrible tornadoes and storms in the south remind us how fragile life is, and how quickly it (and all our possessions) can be taken away.  Where do you find help?
If a "natural disaster" is declared by the federal government, the Federal Emergency Management Agency is the place to go.  In the case of Alabama, Oklahoma, and North Carolina, web pages have been created to let people know how to get help.  You can follow the links, or remember this number: 1-800-621-3362.  It's the general number to find FEMA disaster assistance.  If you live in another part of the country harmed by a declared disaster, here's a link to all the federally declared disasters for 2011, with links that tell you how to get assistance.  Here, in general, is a step-by-step of what you are eligible for, and how to apply.
Besides help for individuals, the SBA also offers low-interest loans for businesses hurt by disasters.  Likewise, the USDA has disaster assistance programs, and the Internal Revenue Service has a page devoted to tax assistance to disaster victims.  Don't forget to check out your state's page for disaster management--the link is at the bottom of the SBA page.

No comments: