Monday, January 7, 2013

More Freebies and Cheapies for Travel and Recreation

The last post had a list of cultural institutions that had free days or discounts, compliments of Target.  But there's more cheap and free stuff that can help you travel. 

One is the land pass for American citizens 62 years or older to hundreds of sites managed by five federal agencies: the National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Recreation, Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Forest Service.  Between them, they manage some of the most scenic and breathtaking historic and national treasures in the U.S., and the America the Beautiful pass will allow you to see most of these treasures for a $10 lifetime pass.  That pass covers not only the holder, but everyone in his/her car.  And some of these sites will also give card holders a discount on other amenities, like camping or guided tours.  The application is actually $20 for paperwork if you apply through the mail via application, but $10 if you apply in person.  Here's a list of parks and sites where you can apply in person

If you want to travel, you may be able to be able to swap homes with someone in your destination location.  This works out best if you have a location other people want to see, but check it out.  One place is the Home for Exchange site, but there are others. Fodors carries a short list in an article on how to make things homier for your guests. 

If you are looking for free accomodations--but not simultaneous to someone else--you can sign up for the Global Freeloader site.  You can travel with free accomodations in the homes of others, if you are willing to be a host yourself. 

And if you're traveling with kids, it's good to know where and under what circumstances you may be able to feed them free.  A website, Kids Eat Free, tries to keep track of this for you in the United States.  It's arranged by state, but you are urged to check ahead to see if the offers are still good in the restaurants that they list.

No comments: