Friday, April 19, 2013

Finding Your Lost Pension, and Getting Free Help in Finding It

Ever since the 1970s, many private pension programs that have been endangered have been taken over by the Pension Benefit Guararty Corporation.  But some people don't know how to find their pensions and claim them.  Indeed, some people do not even know they have unclaimed pension funds.  How do you find out?  How to find out if you have a pension coming from a former employer?

The PBGC has a database that can be searched by the name of the pension program, or, if you prefer to get help from a human, you can call 1-800-400-7242.  If you are due an unclaimed pension fund, there's a searchable database for that too--searchable by the person's name, state, or the name of the company.  For more information on how to search, see their online booklet, Finding a Lost Pension.

You can also get help if you have trouble finding or claiming your pension: there are organizations that can help.  The Pension Rights Center lists several  pension rights projects that together cover 30 states.  Most have toll-free numbers of people you can talk to that can give you free help in researching and claiming your pension claim.  If you don't live in any of these states the Pension Rights Center has a page that can direct you to the best sources of help.  Or you can call them at 1-888-420-6550.

No comments: