Thursday, April 15, 2010

Free Government Laptops? I Don't Think So.

A patron called, all excited about the free government laptops that were being given away. Did I know about them? No, but I took a name and number and promised to call back. The UK is indeed giving laptops to school children, but I could find nothing like that in the US.

Fast forward two weeks. I'm driving to work, and hearing A VERY LOUD FAST VOICE TALK ABOUT FREE LAPTOPS. I listen to the website given, and it all becomes clear to me. It's http://www.freeuslaptops.com/. Mystery solved.

There are, of course, no free government laptops involved here. It's a sales come-on from private companies selling something. But if you put US or federal somewhere in the title or URL, it creates a mental tie-in with the government, and might legitimately be free, and part of a giveaway. I mean, they give away cell phones, don't they? So anything's possible.

Except this isn't. It's a relentlessly pushy website that will not allow you to go further until you put in your e-mail (which means they can bombard you with annoying come-ons). And there is this, at the end of the gift rules:

"To get your gift, you must continue through the survey and complete participation requirements for sampling and purchasing products of interest."

And: "Prizes subject to availability, and quantities may be limited."

So there we have it on the table. It's free--sort of--if you take their survey and/or purchase other stuff. And are lucky. And when you want to leave the website, they ask if you REALLY want to leave. In my case, it was an easy call.

No comments: