Friday, March 18, 2011

Adaptive Equipment and Housing for Disabled Veterans

There are some special grants available for disabled veterans from VA.  One is for a car with adaptive equipment, or the adaptive equipment itself.  To qualify, you must lose both hands or both feet, or the use of them, or suffer some impairment of vision in a service-related disability.  The grant for the car itself is up to $11,000, and is one-time only, and the adaptive equipment grant can be obtained more than once.  For more information, call 1-800-827-1000.

Besides the adaptive housing help I outlined before, the VA also has a program for veterans who are disabled due to a service-related injury.  This can include blindness, severe burns, or loss of the use of the upper or lower body.  Currently, the amount is about $68,000 (to purchase a house), or over $12,000 to adapt a house currently owned.  Also, veterans are eligible for smaller grants to help retrofit the home of a relative with whom they live.   For more information, call 572-272-0091.

No comments: